“Kia ora and greetings Audrey, I have been meaning to write last week to THANK YOU SINCERELY for coming to visit our educators. They were beaming from ear to ear after your visit. I believe you have a real beautiful manner of demystifying maths and making people feel comfortable. Thank you very much Audrey for always being so supportive, helpful and enthusiastic about what we are doing.” – Gaike Knottenbelt, founding Principal of Seven Oaks School
“Our maths has gone extremely well this year with the changes we have made. The teachers have all been extremely positive towards our programme and having you kickstart this back in January was brilliant because it really informed the ‘why’ behind what we were doing. The other day I had three Year 1 learners come into our office to show me the maths they had learnt and they were able to confidently work with 3-digit numbers using the column based addition method! They carried the digits down low and everything! It was impressive. The feedback we have had from teachers is that the kids are really excited and motivated because they can successfully solve some pretty tough questions using this method. We have also had some great results looking at our final end of year data. So we are looking forward to carrying on and keeping on improving. Thanks again for your advice.” – Ben Galletly, Deputy Principal, West Rolleston Primary School
What do we offer?
- We write NCEA exam solutions at the end of each year. Our worked solutions are top quality, providing more detail than the official NZQA solutions, and occasionally answers more correct than NZQA’s!
- We provide consultation and write materials for publishers.
- We provide consultation on the development of school mathematics curricula.
- We provide consultation and training to educators in a school setting.
Affordable and effective PLD for schools
In November 2016, RNZ reported that New Zealand’s 10-year-olds were the worst at maths in the English-speaking world. In December 2020, the results were even worse. Our current primary mathematics curriculum has made our children so bad at basic arithmetic that they’d be better off guessing.
The Trends in Mathematics and Science Survey (TIMSS) informs us that New Zealand has higher proportions of teachers who participate in Professional and Learning Development (PLD) in mathematics compared to most other countries. Despite all this PLD, student performance has not improved since 2002.
We offer a very different kind of PLD. Some points of difference:
- Our qualifications are in Mathematics, not Education.
- Our views on the teaching and learning of mathematics are balanced, and based on both personal and professional experience, i.e. we have “walked the walk”.
- We are practitioners, not academic researchers. Our success as educators has been vindicated, rather than guided, by research, particularly in the field of cognitive science.
- Our experience working with primary and secondary students, sometimes spanning many years, provides an excellent understanding of what primary school students need to learn in order to achieve at high school.
To see what we can do for your school, please read about the fantastic progress in a classroom in just five months.